Thursday, July 9, 2009

Summer Checklist

The summer of 2009 is like no other summer I've seen.
We've all been waiting all summer for summer to come. It's true.

The rain has been like a bad rash that just won't clear up. Here it is, July, and I haven't done half the things I would have done if it were a normal summer.



BUT!
I have a summer checklist.
Certain things have to get done. AND THEY WILL!
There are specific places that I must go and certain foods I need to have, and there are events that are summer rituals for me.

The summer just isn't complete unless these things get done.
I think that everyone would have a better summer if they made a checklist of their own.
So read mine and come up with your own, and I hope you have a great summer!

Destinations:


  • Gloucester area beaches: Rockport, Good Harbor, Long Beach
  • Salisbury, Hampton, especially the boardwalk
  • York Beach, Maine, My favorite of all
  • Canobie Lake Park, brings out the kid in me, and they have fireworks on Saturday night
  • Castle Island, Central Maine, fishing for pike on a beautiful natural lake
  • The Pemigewassett River, Bristol, NH, best smallmouth bass fishing around, and so nice
  • Burlington Vermont, Even the long ride up there is enjoyable, and it's so nice up there
  • Boston's Freedom Trail, Sometimes we take it for granted, and it's really cool
Events:


  • Fireworks - Anywhere, but especially Gloucester and Canobie lake
  • Backyard Barbecues- ask me, I'm there
  • Outdoor concerts at Heritage Park in Lowell, you can't beat that venue or the price
  • Outdoor Concerts anywhere but Great Woods, or whatever they're calling it this week
  • Campfires on the beach, a river or any other place, nothing better than sitting by a fire
  • Hiking in the woods, alone or with friends, it's fun and it doesn't cost a penny
  • A good thunderstorm on my back porch, or on the lake at Castle Island
  • Whale Watch - Gloucester has a great one
  • A boat ride of any kind. Just to be on the water is great
  • Cocktails on a patio or deck on a nice summer day
  • Walking in York Village watching them make the taffy etc...
  • Fishing- just about anywhere, but especially NH and Maine
  • Summer Reading - on the back porch, or the beach, or a cottage, or by a pool...
FOOD & BEVERAGES:


  • Cookout food of all kinds, chicken, ribs, steak tips, sausages, cheeseburgers, hotdogs
  • Corn On The Cob from some road-side stand
  • Lobster
  • Lobster Roll- preferably from that little fish store in York Village
  • Fried Clams - From the Clam Box in Ipswich, or Woodman's
  • Any and all junk food on the boardwalk at Hampton Beach
  • Shooting the piano player in the ass at the arcade on Hampton Beach
  • A Lime Rickey on a hot day
  • A Raspberry Lime Rickey on a very hot day
  • Salt Water Taffy & Chocolate Turtles form York Village
  • Blueberry Pie with ice cream
  • Blueberry Pancakes
  • Blueberry Bread
  • Blueberry this
  • Blueberry that
  • Watermelon
  • Italian Ice
  • Popsicles
  • Frappes 
  • Watermelon Italian Ice
  • Planked Salmon
  • Richie's Slush
  • Macaroni Salad
  • Potato Salad
  • Chicken Salad
  • Fresh Tomatoes from the garden
  • Coffee Coolatas
  • Home Made Iced Tea or Sun Tea
  • Margaritas
  • Pina Coladas
  • Ice Cold Beer from the bottom of a cooler filled with ice water

I think that just about covers it.
Did I leave anything out?
Please leave me a comment, if you think of anything.

Have a great summer!

2 comments:

  1. We have four nights booked at Old Orchard Beach in the middle of August...I am HOPING it's summer by then. Good luck on that list, get crackin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Old Orchard. And you can get there by train. Here's my list (you can substitute Hampton Beach for Old Orchard). http://rootsliving.com/?p=325

    ReplyDelete

Please share your comments! I LOVE to hear what you say!