Monday, July 20, 2009

Synchronicity On Rollercoaster Road



I was taking a Sunday drive up on old Route 1 yesterday with my family.
We were headed towards the ocean to Plum Island on a beautiful summer day.
It occurred to me that I was on the part of the road my father used to call "Rollercoaster Road."
So I put the song "Frank's Imperial," on and drove up to Plum island listening to it.
I explained to them that this is where my dad used to take us in his 67 Chrysler Imperial on Sundays.
We drove up and down the steep hills listening to these lyrics:

and I'm in the back seat, just 12 years old,

a Sunday drive, on Rollercoaster Road,

flyin' high, in Frank's blue jet,

he's got his arm out the window, holdin' a cigarette,

his car has style, his car has class,

whitewall tires, tinted glass,

it rides so smooth, strong and fast,

Frank just smiles, and steps on the gas...


...and for a minute there, I felt like Frank himself, driving the family in his big blue jet.
My mind drifted back through those fond memories of my childhood, and I found myself wiping a secret tear from my eye.

When we got to our destination - Plum Island, my cell phone rang.
My friend Carl was calling to tell me that NPR's Car Talk radio show had just played "Frank's Imperial," on the radio!

Of course I was thrilled to hear that.
Then it hit me.
They were playing the song on the radio at the exact same time we were on Rollercoaster Road listening to the same song!

What are the odds in that happening?
Was my father somehow communicating to me, sending me a message?

Do you believe in synchronicity?
I do.

Here is the definition of Synchronicity:


The term synchronicity is coined by Carl Jung to express a concept that belongs to him. It is about a causal connection of two or more psycho-physic phenomena.
Synchronicity is the experience of two or more events which are causally unrelated occurring together in a meaningful manner.
In order to count as synchronicity, the events should be unlikely to occur together by chance.

The concept does not question, or compete with, the notion of causality. Instead, it maintains that just as events may be grouped by cause, they may also be grouped by their meaning.

It does not escape my attention that I was called on the phone by a guy named CARL either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your comments! I LOVE to hear what you say!